In lecture 2, we have discussed about a cleaning method for the Polaroid SX-70 cameras. After opening the film door, it is easy to see if the rollers are clean. But for some other instant cameras like InstantFlex TL70, it may be difficult to check the rollers as they are located inside the camera body. Don’t worry, we have a solution for this. Apart from asking MiNT warranty centre for regular service, you can do it yourself.
When is the time to clean the rollers?
When you found that there are some unwanted white spots or marks shown on the film, this is probably the cleaning time.
1. Put double sided tape on one side of the film in order to make this side sticky.
Noted: We recommend you use the Scotch Permanent Double Sided Tape and don’t stick the tape on double sides of film at one time. If the tape is too thick the film may be hard to be ejected from the camera.
2. Open the film door and put the film close to the rollers, assist with hand.
3. Press the film-ejecting button.
4. When the rollers are pressing the film, the tape sticks away the dirt on one rollers.
Noted: As the width of film is shorter than the length of rollers, when you place the film near the ejecting mouth, put it incline to one side first, and the other side next, this can make sure you clean the whole roller.
5. Repeat step 2 to 4. This time, turn the film over and let the sticky side touch the other roller.
6. Try to do the above steps several time until you think it is okay.
Noted: If you think the the tapes aren’t sticky anymore, you should change a new film with new tape to continue.